Thursday, May 31, 2012

floor duster cover

Anyone who is cash conscious knows how much the covers for these guys cost. I haven't bougt refills for mine in a few years because I just couldn't bring myself to spend money on something that I was just going to throw away, even if my house is covered is wood floors and tile.

Duster Cover -Eeek! I should have cleaned it first!

I have been using lap sponges from the operating room to cover mine when I have them. They work great, but they are not something I can just go pick up at the store. I only get a pack of them every once in a while as it is rare that they are available and there many nurses who see their value when it comes to cleaning our homes. And for those of you who may wonder, no, I do not practice workplace thievery!

Last week, I came across a pattern for this crocheted Duster Cover. It was reusable and looked so simple to make. I had to try it. I was correct in my judgment; they were simple to make. I made two from one ball of yarn in just about 3 hours. (I feel like I crochet slowly, so yours could go much faster!) However, true to my crafty nature, I made the first one exactly like the pattern and then modified the pattern on the second one to make it "easier". This is the link to the website where I found the pattern. And below is my modified pattern. At less than $2 for two of these reusable covers, my duster may see a lot more work!

Duster Cover Pattern

1 Ball Peaches and Creame cotton yarn, makes 2
Size H (5mm) crochet hook

Chain 61
Row 1: 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. 1 sc in each ch across. Turn.
Row 2: Ch 1. Working in back loop of each sc,  sc in each sc across. Turn.
Repeat row 2 until work measures about 4 inches wide. Then make one more row. Fasten off.


On the length of the work, count 12 stitches in from the end and fold over at that point, right sides together. Whipstitch into place to form a pocket. (See photo above.) Repeat on the other side. Turn right side out and you are done!

2 comments:

  1. I also can't bring myself to buy disposable refills for mine. I found (also on Pinterest) a way to use microfiber cloths and then toss them in the washer. You're supposed to sew pockets into them so they slip on like yours, but I'm too lazy and just poke the ends into the holes where the disposable refills fit in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are much more stylish than the disposable covers too! I wish these worked on our ceramic tiles. It just pushes the dirt into the grout lines. :(

    Great job Kyndra!

    ReplyDelete