Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mini Starburst

**The Brown Needle is now Sewlio. As of 5/1/13, all new blog posts can be found at www.sewliodesigns.com . Hope to see you there!**
 
 
 


Ever since I saw this quilt, I knew I wanted to make one. Cindy, who is a fabulous quilter and quilt pattern author, and is also a fellow member of the STLMQG and in the Redbird Bee, very kindly gave me a copy of her pattern after I had trouble locating an issue of the magazine it was published in. 

Once I got this pattern home, I could do nothing but dream of which fabrics I would use. And then it happened. I saw something in the pattern and started "playing" with it to see what else I could do with it. It really has so many possibilities! I have about 4 different options all planned out. And, of course, I'm planning on making one of them just as it is written. It is so so beautiful, after all.

This is one of the first options I came up with. I have another quilt with a much different layout that I will be making from this pattern. (Ok, ok. Two. That's all.) I'm impatiently waiting for my fabric to arrive in the mail and getting nervous all at the same time. You see, I ordered 10 different fabrics for it, 11 if you count the background fabric. It's gonna be a monster... It will also look nothing like this version of the quilt.

In the meantime, I thought I'd practice. This was my initial attempt at this pattern. I scaled it down by half. It measures 21"x21". I learned a lot making this quilt. I knew I'd need practice. Especially since I had to figure out how to get it all put together. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

I think it will end up hanging in the guest bathroom. There's a serious need for some decoration in there. Oh, and in case you're wondering, that's some of the Denyse Schmidt fabric from Joann's. I can't remember which line as the selvages are long gone.

Cindy calls her pattern Sunburst. I'm thinking Starburst might be a little more fitting for this layout. This really was so much fun to make. I can't wait to start the next one!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Beautiful combination. Nice work! (Both you AND, Cindy!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see the next versions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super great block! Stars are my favorite and this looks like fun piecing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a kind compliment! I happen to love stars, too and this one definitely came together quite easily. More of them to come... :)

      Delete