Saturday, October 29, 2011

Habitat Challenge Quilt/ Bloggers' Quilt Festival

**The Brown Needle is now Sewlio. As of 5/1/13, all new blog posts can be found at www.sewliodesigns.com . Hope to see you there!**


Habitat Challenge Quilt- October 2011 {Pattern- My Own} 

This is the quilt I designed for the Habitat Challenge that the MQG did this year. I can honestly say that quilt composition definitely makes the difference when it comes to liking the fabrics. I was less than thrilled with the fabric for the challenge, but it is a challenge after all, so I decided to go with it. This is my first attempt at working with triangles. I had originally planned on not outlining the triangles and it would be more of an off-set "flying geese" type pattern, but once I cut it and laid it all out, I felt that it needed a little more detail. That's where the outlines come in. Let me tell you, those outlines were a complete headache but totally worth it!

There were so many awesome quilts at our challenge reveal! I was amazed at how many different quilts could be inspired from one line of fabric! All of the ladies at the STLMQG did a fantastic job on their quilts. You should hop on over to their Flickr page (linked from their blog) and check them out!




Habitat Challenge Quilt Back


(This quilt has been finished for a few weeks now, but I was saving it for the Fall 2011 Blogger's Quilt Festival!)

19 comments:

  1. Love it! It's a great design and your fabrics pop. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the outlined triangles, it really does make the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I just love how you outlined the triangles! A totally fresh look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I`m not a fan of this line of fabric but you may have changed my mind. I think you have done a great job and this is a wonderful quilt. Love your flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! Your right- the outlining makes the triangles. Love the back, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice job. The colors really pop and you're right, the outlines were worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique idea...big and little triangles. I hadn't thought of that and love how it turned out. The back as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen this type of flying geese before! Very striking. Lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! I love the outlining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I got some fabric for the habitat challenge but found out we were moving right afterwards, so I gave it back. Your quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunningly original! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautiful quilt, I love the design, and you chose great colours for it too.
    Kristina
    www.priscillacraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is gorgeous! I've never seen anything like it, what a beautiful and original design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your quilt. It's so bright and fun. Your design is wonderful....are you publishing it? Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really lovely quilt both front and back! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a really cool quilt! I like that you used both big and small triangles!

    ReplyDelete