Saturday, October 8, 2011

Snowball Quilt

Snowball Quilt- July 2011


I love black and white. I really wanted to make a black and white quilt so I thought I'd try a snowball quilt. After lots of time spent Googling snowball quilts, I finally decided on my block size and began cutting. Honestly, this quilt was a little boring for me and I lost interest in it several times. I wasn't even sure I liked it when I was finished with it. Once I finished piecing it, I decided that it needed a border. I chose a black with red polka dots and then added a wider outer border. I finished it up with a scrap pieced binding using fabrics from the blocks.

I have to admit, that I don't know how to free motion quilt. I'm a little intimidated by the idea, actually. Unfortunately, after only just a couple of quilts, I've grown tired of straight line quilting with my walking foot. So on this quilt, I decided to quilt it in concentric octagons. I will NEVER. DO. THAT. AGAIN! What was I thinking? I thought it would look cool (and it does), but I had to turn that quilt eight times every time I went around.  I obviously didn't think it through... and that seems to be pretty typical of me in my quilting endeavors.


p.s.  I like it now. Once you snuggle up under a quilt, how can you not like it?

1 comment:

  1. I love a snowball quilt! I’m wondering if I can make my snowballs different sizes? Black white scraps look out...

    ReplyDelete